MERRICK (RICK) J. NORMAN, JR.
145 East Street
Lake Charles, Louisiana 70601
Rick J. Norman practices business law and commercial litigation with his son, Joe, through the Norman Business Law Center in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Mr. Norman has been representing Louisiana businesses, both big and small, since 1980.
Mr. Norman is the author of two legal treatises on business law used by both practitioners and in law schools: Louisiana Employment (Thomson Reuters, 1083 pages, updated annually) and Louisiana Corporations (Thomson Reuters, 2051 pages, updated annually).
Mr. Norman enjoys an “AV” rating from the Martindale-Hubbell rating agency, which is the highest rating given for ability and ethics. Mr. Norman is a “Top Rated Lawyer” in the field of litigation as determined by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Norman was selected a Top Rated Lawyer in the field of commercial litigation by Acadiana Profile Magazine.
Mr. Norman has extensive litigation experience and was formerly a federal prosecutor for white collar crime. Rick has tried cases in many state and federal courts, including bankruptcy court and tax court.
Mr. Norman is currently the Vice President of the Louisiana State Law Institute, an arm of the Louisiana legislature that studies and drafts legislation. He is also currently serving on Law Institute committees rewriting the Louisiana Wage Payment Act and the Louisiana Limited Liability Companies Law. He formerly served on the committee that rewrote the Louisiana Business Corporations Law in 2015.
Mr. Norman is currently serving on the Employment Law Advisory Commission for the Louisiana State Bar Association Board of Legal Specialization.
Mr. Norman taught business entities law and employment law at McNeese State University for many years. Mr. Norman lectures and writes extensively on business law topics. He also contributed a chapter for a college textbook on the effect of the First Amendment on business.
Mr. Norman served as Ethics Committee chairman for the Louisiana Bar Association from 1995-1999. Mr. Norman has served as a court-appointed Special Master in the 14th Judicial District Court.
Admitted to Practice
- All Louisiana Courts
- All Colorado Courts
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Tax Court
- Highest AV rating. Top Rated Lawyer – Litigation.
- Acadiana Profile Magazine Top Lawyer – Commercial Litigation.
LEGAL EMPLOYMENT AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Oct 2004 to Present
- the Norman Business Law Center, L.L.C. (commercial practice including litigation)
- Special Master in the 14 Judicial District Court
July 1985 to Oct 2004
- Managing Partner in Woodley, Williams Law Firm, L.L.C.
1987 to 2015
- Visiting Instructor, McNeese State University
- Business Law and Employment Law
Aug. 1992 to Aug. 1993
- City Attorney, City of Lake Charles
Sept. 1983 to July 1985
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Louisiana
(practice consisting of white collar criminal prosecution and civil litigation)
- Employment Law, Thomson Reuters, 2005 (One volume treatise (975 pages) updated annually)
- Louisiana Corporations, Thomson Reuters, 1998 (Two volume treatise (2,235 pages) [co-author] updated annually)
- Louisiana Corporations, The Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Co., 1983 (Two Volume treatise and form book [co-author] 682 pages; updated annually through 1998)
- First Amendment Law in Louisiana, (UL Press, 2015) [co-contributor] Chapter 11 on Commercial Expression
- “Employment Contracts: A Checklist for the Draftsman”, Louisiana Bar Journal (June, 1983) (co-author)
- “Introduction of Evidence Over Parol Evidence Objection” 36 Am Jur Proof of Facts 3d 331-371 (1996)
- “Savings and Loans: The Move to Stock Ownership”, Business Report (June, 1983)
- 1977 : Bachelor of Arts Degree, Pre-Law
Louisiana State University (Phi Beta Kappa)
- 1979 : Juris Doctor Degree
Louisiana State University Law School
- 1984 : U. S. Department of Justice Criminal Advocacy Institute
PRO BONO WORK
- Member: Louisiana State Law Institute (2007 – present) currently Vice-President
- Governmental Ethics Board, City of Lake Charles, Louisiana (1990 – 1993)
- Chairman, Ethics Committee for Louisiana Bar Association (1995-1999)
- City of Lake Charles Personnel Board (2007 – present)